1. Why ‘The Tsars’? Louis and our former lead guitarist Sam heard it in year 11 history and then hunted me (Reg) down during lunch and told me I was going to be in their band called ‘The Tsars’ whether I liked it or not.
2. You joked about their being a major bid by some big name record labels in an interview with The Alternative Media Group but in all seriousness when can we your debut album come out and can you give us a hint at what’s it called? Oh, that was no joke, we recently had Roadrunner records approach us about releasing half the songs we’ve recorded on a split record with Cradle Of Filth, but I think we’re probably just going to release it independently as a self-titled album.
3. You recently had ‘Tdub’, a seriously cool artist in his own right, redesign your image, care to explain how the image links with you guys as a band? Yeah, Tdub is the man. We’ve been buddys with him for ages and he’s done bits and pieces for us here and there. We needed a cover for a few singles we were distributing to various radio stations and I got in touch with him and he whipped that up in less than 48 hours! I wouldn’t say that it does or doesn’t link directly with the band, but it’s a sweet picture and has a cruisy, fun vibe, which you could say encapsulates our approach pretty well.
4. If your debut album was a person what would they look like and how would they act? It would probably look like Vermin Supreme and ride around on a pony prying peoples mouths open and brushing their teeth.
5. Realm is the introduction to your Debut Album do you thing this Teaser somehow defines the sound that you have projected through the rest of the album songs? If so what direction were you going with this Album? We put realm out as a bit of a teaser to show people that we were actually working on something as, at the time, we’d been lying low for a while. It definitely shares similarities to some of the songs on the album but is honestly probably a better indicator of newer songs that we’ve written that we’ll be releasing after the album is released.
6. Who are the other bands you like to hang out with in the music scene in Sydney when you are out gigging or other live acts you guys have your eye on at the moment? We’ve got lots of mates in different bands and also a lot of friends involved in electronic music in Sydney like the homies at The Finer Things. We’ve been hanging with the legends in Blind Valley a bit lately and we’re talking about organising a tour with them, which would be fun. One act I’m keeping my eye on at the moment is a project called Bus Vipers – he’s releasing some sick stuff. Also the debut from Zeahorse is going to be killer!
7. Who would you cite as your main influences? Beatallica.
8. What’s a question you’ve always wanted to be asked but never been asked and could you answer it for us. Q. Who is the hottest, strongest, coolest member of the band? A. Reg
9. Jamming – what were your reasons for moving to Tamworth for a while to work on songs, and what songs in particular did you work up whilst there? Did you lock yourselves up in Tamworth and play for hours , how did it go down? Both Mitch and Louis have family properties up north so when we have the chance we like to take off to the country for a while to write new material, focus on finishing half-written ideas and lay down some demos. That’s what we were doing at Mitch’s place in Tamworth and a lot of the tracks we were working on up there will be on our second release.
10. In what way has each of you poured yourselves into the songs and music, are these songs coming from a personal space or are they just good to play? Most of our songs are the end result of a collaborative writing process. We just write tunes that we enjoy playing and jam on progressions that we like the sound of until we all vibe on what everyone is playing.
11. When can we expect this lovely Album out? Coming to a cinema near you this Summer!
Check out their latest single ‘Names’, below:
By Lumis & Measure The Buzz